Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings in Shelby, OH
Restore your smile and oral health with natural-looking dental fillings – call 419-342-4217 to learn more or book an appointment.
Dental fillings help patients suffering from cavities and tooth decay. In addition, fillings can help repair the tooth and prevent further damage. At Discovery Dental, we use tooth-colored fillings to give patients a natural-looking restoration.
Cavities are one of the most common oral health concerns among children and adults. Dental fillings help remove the decayed parts and prevent further damage by using a strong artificial material to refill the tooth. Discovery Dental uses high-quality dental filling material and state-of-the-art tools to provide long-lasting dental restorations for patients in Shelby, OH.
What Are Tooth-Colored Dental Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings use composite resin to fill in small holes or cavities in your teeth. Composite resin combines plastic and glass to create a highly-durable and customizable material.
Tooth decay and cavities can severely impact the structure of your tooth. To prevent further damage, your dentist will remove the decayed parts of the affected tooth and use dental filling material to restore your ability to bite and chew.
How Long Do Dental Fillings Last?
The life of your dental filling will depend on various factors, including:
- The type of filling material
- Your oral hygiene routine
- The severity of tooth decay
You can extend the life of your dental filling by regularly flossing, brushing your teeth, and scheduling a professional dental cleaning once every six months.
How Do You Care for Dental Fillings?
One of the benefits of tooth-colored fillings in Shelby, OH, is that they do not require additional dental care. However, we encourage patients to continue using fluoride toothpaste and floss daily to keep their teeth clean and maintain optimum oral health.
Types of Dental Fillings
Silver fillings are more traditional, but they generally consist of a metal alloy rather than pure silver.
Traditional silver fillings contain small amounts of mercury, which is why more and more dentists are starting to use other filling materials.
Porcelain is a highly durable material that your dental professional can customize to match the color of your teeth. When porcelain bonds to your tooth, it strengthens it while resisting wear and tear.
Dentists prefer to use porcelain dental fillings rather than traditional silver or metal amalgam because they are much safer and create a more natural look.
When Do You Need a Dental Filling?
Dental fillings are ideal for patients with minor to moderate tooth decay. However, if you have severe tooth decay that requires your dentist to remove a majority of the tooth, you will likely benefit more from a dental crown rather than a filling.
If you suffer from toothaches or cavities, contact Discover Dental to schedule an exam. Our dental professionals will discuss your treatment options with you and help you restore your smile and improve your oral health.
The Procedure for Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Anesthesia: To eliminate discomfort and pain, your dentist will give you a local anesthetic to numb the area.
- Tooth preparation: To prepare your tooth for a filling, your dentist will remove the decayed parts and prevent the infection from spreading. Once your tooth is clear of decay, the dentist will take digital images to capture the necessary measurements.
- Applying the filling: Once the dental filling is ready, your dentist will gently apply and secure it to your tooth. Most dental filling procedures only require one visit to your dentist’s office, depending on how many fillings you need.
- Aftercare: Once your dental filling is secure, your dentist will give you specific instructions on caring for your dental filling. Regularly brushing your teeth and incorporating mouthwash into your oral hygiene routine can help you extend the life of your filling and prevent future decay.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings in Shelby, OH
Tooth-colored fillings offer several benefits for patients in Shelby, OH:
- Increased strength and durability for your teeth
- Porcelain and composite resin last longer than silver amalgam fillings
- They match the natural look of your teeth
- They help prevent further decay or infection
- Porcelain requires less tooth surface removal than silver fillings
- Tooth-colored fillings are safer than amalgam fillings for patients who are sensitive to metal
Get Tooth-Colored Fillings in Shelby, OH
Discovery Dental is passionate about helping patients achieve the smile of their dreams through high-end dental care and friendly services. We provide various dental restoration services, including dental crowns and tooth-colored fillings in Shelby, OH.
Discovery Dental offers preventative, restorative, and orthodontic treatment for patients in Shelby and the surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment by calling us at 419-342-4217.